Wednesday, December 12, 2007

The AV Club's Best Music of 2007

For the third year in a row, it's time for me to take a look at The AV Club's list of the best music of the year, and break it down according to my staggering ignorance of modern music.

I find that I'm actually slightly more aware of the artists in this year's list than in previous years. Not a lot, but still. Partly this is due to people recommending music to me in comments to those previous posts, and while I haven't become a huge fan of pretty much any of these acts, I at least checked out some of their songs and gave them a chance. If I still spent much money on music, instead of buying one album every two or three months, I probably would buy, say, the new Wilco, or give Spoon more of a chance, or whatever. But I don't, so I won't. But hey, at least my awareness levels are increasing.

Here we go:

Never Heard Of Them

Against Me!, New Wave
Bat For Lashes, Fur And Gold
Grinderman, Grinderman
James Murphy & Pat Mahoney, FabricLive 36
Jesu, Conqueror
Les Savy Fav, Let's Stay Friends
M.I.A., Kala
The National, Boxer

Only Heard Of Them Because They Appeared In Previous AV Club Lists

Band Of Horses, Cease To Begin
Bloc Party, A Weekend In The City
Iron & Wine, The Shepherd's Dog
LCD Soundsystem, Sound Of Silver

Heard Of Them, But Not Sure When Or How

Fall Out Boy, Infinity On High
Low, Drums And Guns

Heard Of Them, Even Though I Picture t.A.T.u. When I Hear Their Name

Tegan And Sara, The Con

Heard Of Them, Even Though At First I Was Confusing Them With Neko Case

Rilo Kiley, Under The Blacklight

Heard Of Them, And Am Somewhat Favorably Disposed Toward Them, Despite Not Owning Any Of Their Albums

PJ Harvey, White Chalk
Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
The White Stripes, Icky Stump
Wilco, Sky Blue Sky

Heard Of Them, And Just Do NOT Get Why ANYBODY Listens To Them, Seriously

Arcade Fire, Neon Bible
Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
Radiohead, In Rainbows

Heard Of Them, And Made Fun Of Them In My Last Post

Amy Winehouse, Back To Black

Actually Own The Album, And Love It

Ted Leo, Living With The Living



As always, please feel free to offer suggestions as to which of these albums I really should be paying more attention to, which I can safely continue to ignore, and which 2007 albums aren't on this list, but maybe should be.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com