Tuesday, August 10, 2004

COMICS: Fandom

I wish I were the world's biggest fan of something.

Mike is the world's biggest Swamp Thing fan. Corey is the world's biggest Green Lantern fan. Dorian is the world's biggest Wildcat fan. Neilalien is the world's biggest Dr. Strange fan. Laura "Tegan" Gjovaag is the world's biggest Aquaman fan.

I'd like to say I'm the world's biggest Incredible Hulk fan, but if that were true, I would've been the one to create the brilliantly funny (but too-infrequently updated) Hulk's Diary. Plus, I'm only a fan when the comic doesn't suck, which it currently does. It's possible I'm the world's biggest Grimjack fan, but only if Uncle Elvis has left the building. Hell, I thought I might even be the world's biggest Replacement God fan, but even an obscure (but excellent) b&w fantasy/humor comic that hasn't released a new issue in five years has its own (mostly abandoned) fan site.

So I'm just going to pick something and go with it. As of now, I am officially the world's biggest fan of...

Rick Jones.

Author, folk singer, talk show host, professional sidekick. He was indirectly responsible for the creation of the Hulk; he was Captain America's replacement Bucky; he was sidekick to Space Knight Rom; he was bonded via the nega-bands to two Captain Marvels.

I am now his biggest fan in the world. (Prove me wrong, children, prove me wrong!) And I will not rest until Rick Jones gets his own ongoing monthly series! Or until I get bored with him.

Labels: , , , , , , , ,

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com