Wednesday, November 09, 2005

COMICS: Wed. 11/9/05 cont.

Well, that was a surprise. Of the three comics I got today, the one I expected to like the least was by far the most fun.

I'm talking about Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man #2 (part 4 of "The Other"), by Reginald Hudlin. I don't think I've read a comic written by Hudlin before, but this will definitely change that. He's got a nice comedic touch, seems to have a pretty good take on every character in the comic (except the Hulk -- for Christ's sake, Marvel editorial, would you establish a consistent standard for ol' greenskin? Is he smart, is he mean, is he naive, is he just plain dumb -- what?? It would be nice if five different writers didn't portray the Hulk five different ways), he kept things moving (though still not really telling us anything about Peter's malady)... it was a thoroughly pleasant surprise.

Y: The Last Man was another fine issue in this great series. Bummer of an ending, though, with a closing line as timely as today's headlines. (Well, two days ago's headlines.) I am getting a little tired of Yorick and 355's dancing around their emotions. "Do you like me?" "No! Why... do you like me?" "NO! Why... do you like me?" Enough. Uncle.

The Walking Dead was a great character issue, with Rick and Tyreese violently confronting each other on their darkest secrets. Still loving this series, even though zombies in general are more played out than ninja pirate monkeys. (Don't tell you know who, though.)

Wow, 3 for 3. That's a good week in comics. Plus, I'm still reading, and loving, the Showcase Presents: Jonah Hex book I got last week. But Dorian is right about Jonah: he sure does like to take off his shirt a lot. And spurn the advances of women. Often at the same time. I imagine Jonah will really dig this movie.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com