Sunday, December 18, 2005

Sidebar Update: Christmas Edition

This'll probably be my last sidebar update for the year. I'm leaving on vacation on Thursday, and not returning till right before New Year's Eve, when I'll probably have other things to occupy me aside from the sidebar. (Hint: getting drunk.)

Ever Carradine just knocks me out. She was part of one of my favorite TV shows of the past decade, one which was sadly cancelled long before its time, Lucky. She's currently on Commander in Chief. And she was in Dead & Breakfast, an... interesting indie horror film released last year. I recently rented it, and about the best thing I can say for it is that it had Ever Carradine in it. It was going for different and funny and original, and it just misfired in so very many ways. The picture on the sidebar has her in her smoldering, sexy mode, but what I dig about her is how she so often has a big goofy grin on her face. Here, check out these bonus pictures to see what I mean:



Adorable!

I'll be reading Quicksilver for a good long while (assuming I don't give up on it again). I've got about twenty books in the backlog, ready to go next. Maybe I'll start showing preview pictures of upcoming books, just so that Quicksilver picture doesn't sit there forever.

I hope to see King Kong sometime before the New Year. I'm not counting on it, though. It's far more likely I'll be watching a video of Dora the Explorer about 8,000 times, at the demand of the world's cutest niece, whom I'll be visiting on vacation.

It's a Shame About Ray is one of the all-time great feel-good albums, one which I've been missing for a long time, and finally re-purchased this week. Every song is so upbeat and catchy and fun. Evan Dando's lyrics are great, funny and clever and weird and wacky -- for example, the opening track, "Rockin' Stroll," is written from the point of view of a baby in a stroller. For Lyric of the Week, I used a line from a Lemonheads song not actually on this album. I first heard "The Outdoor Type" in the movie The Tao of Steve, which is a great, offbeat, romantic comedy starring Donal Logue. It very much sums up my own opinions on the not-so-great outdoors.

And I'm hating that accursed Grinch! His brain is full of spiders, I understand; I have it on the best authority that he's got garlic in his soul. I wouldn't touch him with a thirty-nine-and-a-half-foot pole! Give Christmas back to Whoville, Grinch!!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com