Thursday, April 21, 2005

COMICS: Wed. 4/20/05

I am uninspired today. I've already half-written and abandoned two posts because they bored me. And if they bored me, they would be no picnic for you, I'm sure.

So, for the sake of posting something, here's a list of the assload of comics I bought today (yes, today; I was too busy to go to the shop yesterday) but have not yet read.

Invincible: Lovin' it.
The Walking Dead: I just reread the first TPB of this series, and it's just great. But as much as I'm still enjoying the new issues, the longer it goes on, the more the immediacy and novelty of the first issues wears off.
JLA: Classified: More wacky fun with dead characters!
Klarion: Man, does this look crappy. Klarion, the Witch Boy?? Ugh. If it weren't written by Grant Morrison, I wouldn't touch this with a ten-meter cattle prod. But he'll make it work, I'm sure.
Runaways: Lovin' it.
Powers: I think this was supposed to come out last week, but the comics shop got shorted on the shipment. Or I bought it twice.
Mike Baron's Detonator: I'm amazed a non-Badger or Nexus Mike Baron comic has made it to issue 3. Not exactly his best work, but even at his worst Baron is more readable than all but a handful of other writers.
Hate Annual: Hopefully Bagge's been saving up his good stuff for this, because if Sweatshop and Apocalypse Nerd are the best he can do now... yikes.
Ex Machina: Lovin' it.
Young Avengers: I was borderline on picking up this book, because I already had so damn many in my hands. Double digits is a lot for me. But I decided to check out one more issue. I did, however, put back the new Fantastic Four. I loved the Waid/Wieringo run, but can't muster up any interest in the new creative team.

Also picked up two trade paperbacks:

Legend of Grimjack: Volume 2: I think this is a far better introduction to the greatness of the character for a new reader than either Volume 1, which reprinted all the Grimjack back-up stories from Starslayer, or the new Killer Instinct mini-series, which is great but not, I think, the ideal jumping-on spot. Volume 2 collects the first issues after Grimjack graduated to his own book, and they're great from page one.

The Essential The Incredible Hulk: Volume 3: The best of the dumb green Hulk era is represented here, including the great Harlan Ellison story, which introduced us to Jarella's world. Mike was half-proud, half-ashamed that he instantly recalled the title of that story: "The Brute That Shouted Love at the Heart of the Atom!" (I remembered it, too. What can I say? Ellison rules! And I love the Hulk!)

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com