Tuesday, March 29, 2005

TV: Tuesday night dilemma

After a few weeks of reprieve due to reruns, my Tuesday TV dilemma returns tonight. I can only TiVo two shows at once, and tonight at 9:00 are not two, not three, but four excellent programs all at once.

I'm most faithful to Scrubs. I think it's the best sitcom on the air, along with Arrested Development. But then there's also Veronica Mars, which is one of the best new shows of the year. A lot of plot threads finally look to be coming together tonight, after leaving us on a cliffhanger a month ago. It's gonna be great!

Both shows have been airing repeats for the past few weeks, which has allowed me to catch up a little on House, which is great primarily for Hugh Laurie's performance in the lead role, and despite a certain uniformity of the medical cases. "This person is sick. It looks like it's this, but it's not. It might be this, or this, or this, but really, it's this." (Even this week's episode description at Yahoo seems to acknowledge the repetitiveness: "House and his team blame an adverse reaction on diet pills when an obese 10-year-old girl is admitted after having a heart attack, but ultimately they find another cause for her illness." "Ultimately they find another cause for her illness." NO! YOU DON'T SAY!! That's completely unlike every other episode!!)

And the repeats have also allowed me to get hooked on the beginning of the new season of The Amazing Race -- still the best reality show on TV. It's been a lot better this year than last, primarily due to the inclusion of Survivor alums Boston Rob and Amber, who make an wickedly devious and entertaining team.

Tonight, I need to drop two of these shows. Dammit!

I think House will be the easiest for me to cut. I've gotten addicted to it over the past few weeks, but I've missed enough of it already to know I can live without it. But that still leaves a very difficult decision. I think it might have to be Scrubs that goes, purely for the practical reason that it will most likely be repeated at some future date, whereas Amazing Race and Veronica Mars probably will not; Veronica might not even survive to next season, so if I'm going to catch it, it's got to be now.

Yep, it's a rough life I lead, isn't it? Pray for me.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com