Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Some requests from you, and a request from me

I've gotten a couple of email requests which I'd like to take care of.

Nik Dirga asks me to let you know about his Jay's Days contest, being held at his blog, Spatula Forum. Three lucky winners will receive various comics by autobiographical cartoonist Jason Marcy, including his Jay's Days graphic novels, volumes 1 and 3. I've never read anything by Marcy, but Nik makes his work sound interesting enough that I plan on picking something of his up on my next trip to the comics shop. And all you have to do to get them for free is relate a story about your most embarrassing moment, in the grand tradition of autobiographical cartoonists everywhere. Deadline is April 15. Good luck!



Andrew Barlow sent the following message:

"Hi,
Came across your site. Thought this might interest you: http://www.portraitofyomama.com"

You will be shocked -- shocked! -- to learn that Andrew Barlow is the author of a book being promoted at that site. I know I was. I'm assuming this is some kind of mass-spamming campaign. And yet, young Barlow (or the unpaid intern scouting bloggers to target and signing his name) is correct: I am interested. The book is called A Portrait of Yo Mama as a Young Man, and it looks very funny indeed. It's described by one blurb on the site as a "James Joyce autobiographical novel/snaps send-up." Some sample quotes:

"Yo mama's so ugly, when she drops something in public, heterosexual men assist her only out of altruism, or in the hope that another, more attractive woman is watching."

"Yo mama's so Abraham Lincoln, when someone comes up behind her and shoots her in the head, they say 'Sic semper tyrannis' afterwards."

That's weird. And funny. Plus, there's a blurb from David Cross on the site: "Be careful -- contents inside have been deemed... funny!" I find it hard to believe he wrote that with a straight face, but hey, a David Cross endorsement is sure to guarantee quality. (Unless he's talking about Run, Ronnie, Run.) It looks worth checking out. (I would call it a comedic masterpiece, but he only sent me an email instead of a free review copy.)



And now my request to you, the typical search engine user who has stumbled across my site. I find it admirable that you have come to my blog on a quest for "Mageina Tovah" or "Debra Wilson," as my referral logs indicate so very many of you have. Tovah is a fine young actress, and Wilson is a very funny performer. However, I would appreciate it if you would not end every single one of those searches with "+tits". Thank you.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com