Wednesday, February 23, 2005

COMICS: Wed. 2/23/05

It's time again to play, "What did Tom buy this week?" in which I try to remember, without looking, which comics I spent all that money on.

First of all, there's the Scurvy Dogs TPB, which is just a fantastic package. I was laughing out loud just at the foreword. I've got all five issues, and still I had to buy this. For one thing, it's nice to have them all in one book, because they're so damn funny they can be reread time and time again. Secondly, there's a ton of extra material, including author's notes introducing each issue, a previously uncollected story, and pages and pages of annotations for the whole series at the end. I love that kind of stuff, even when the material pretty much speaks for itself ("I'm damn funny," it says). And finally, you can't beat the price -- $12.95, which is a real steal, these days. Try to tell me $12.95 isn't worth seeing a gasoline-drinking Rod Stewart carrying around Dr. Theopolis like Twiki from Buck Rogers. Just try!

Then I got seven other comics. Let's see if I can recall them all! First and foremost, of course, is Grimjack: Killer Instinct #2. The revival of this series continues to make me so happy I just wanna muss up my hair and quack like a duck. (That's a line from one of my favorite comic strips, by the way.)

Then there's Spider-Man & the Human Torch, by Dan Slott and Ty Templeton. Sad though it is that She-Hulk is out of commission for the time being, at least I'll still be getting a monthly dose of the funny from Slott on this book.

Also got Fantastic Four, the last issue of what has been an incredibly entertaining run by Mark Waid & Mike Wieringo (guess FF drops off my buy-list again next month); Invincible; Powers; Seven Soldiers of Victory, one of those Grant Morrison titles which I'm sure I'll enjoy issue to issue, but which I'll probably eventually wish I had waited for the collection instead; and...

There's always one I forget. Give me a second.

Dammit. I'm gonna have to cheat and look it up.

Y: The Last Man! Stupid! Only my favorite comic. (Well, bumped down to second favorite again, now that Grimjack's back.) I actually said to myself, "Did any Brian Vaughan comics come out this week? Nope." D'oh!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com