Hey all. I'm looking to awaken a bit more audience participation on this here blog, so I'm going to take a shot at something SamuraiFrog's been doing for a while: a lyrics quiz. I give you a line from a song, you give me the title and artist. Give the most correct answers, you win a million dollars. Or I will post your name as the winner. Whichever.
This is also partly inspired by the fact that I unpacked my record player today, and have been digging on '70s and '80s vinyl for about eight hours straight. Man alive, I have missed my records. I can't even properly express to you how happy the pops and hisses of analog music have been making me feel all day.
So all the lyrics are directly from my record collection, which, as I said, is primarily of the '70s and '80s rock variety. Not all, but primarily. Looking over the quiz, I feel like it's way too easy, but I think that's because I just listened to all these songs; maybe out of context, as they will be for you, I'd have a tough time nailing them down. Well, a couple of them I'd know anywhere, but those songs will probably be the toughest for you.
Leave your guesses in the comments. Make sure you're not repeating an answer already given. Hope you play along. And if you use Google to cheat, you will burn in hell for all eternity. God told me so!
1. "What the hell is wrong with you tonight? I can't seem to say or do the right thing." Joe Jackson, "It's Different For Girls" (Noel Murray)
2. "Rain comin' down and the roof won't hold 'er, lost my job and I feel a little older, car won't run and our love's grown colder." Hoyt Axton, "Boney Fingers" (Ted Houseman)
3. "We'll come again next Thursday afternoon; the in-laws hope they'll see you very soon." Elton John, "Madman Across the Water" (Johnny Bacardi)
4. "They say that these are not the best of times, but they're the only times I've ever known." Billy Joel, "Summer, Highland Falls" (Noel Murray)
5. "Rael Imperial Aerosol Kid exits into daylight, spraygun hid." Genesis, "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" (Johnny Bacardi)
6. "Work hard, boy, and you'll find one day you'll have a job like mine." Cat Stevens, "But I Might Die Tonight" (SamuraiFrog)
7. "They don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead. Is that exactly what I thought I read?" Pete Townshend, "Jools and Jim" (Scott Tacktill)
8. "Is it any wonder I'm null and void?" Styx, "Too Much Time on My Hands" (Gordon)
9. "You shouldn't come around here singing up at people like that -- anyway, what you gonna do about it?" Dire Straits, "Romeo and Juliet" (Davinder)
10. "And the choice is up to you 'cause they come in two classes." ZZ Top, "Cheap Sunglasses" (Johnny Bacardi)
11. "Burns like a red coal carpet, mad bull lost your way." The Rolling Stones, "Gimmie Shelter" (ArizonaTeach)
12. "Hey, callin' it your job, ol' hoss, sure don't make it right, but if you want me to I'll say a prayer for your soul tonight." John Mellencamp, "Rain on the Scarecrow" (Noel Murray)
13. "And he raped her and killed her, then he took her home." Warren Zevon, "Excitable Boy" (Johnny Bacardi)
14. "I got up to wash my face; when I come back to bed, someone's taken my place." Simon & Garfunkel, "Cecilia" (Johnny Bacardi)
15. "Nine o'clock this morning she left without a warning." Huey Lewis & the News, "Heart and Soul" (Gordon)
16. "Then I got Mary pregnant, and man, that was all she wrote." Bruce Springsteen, "The River" (Noel Murray)
17. "You lie awake and you think about the girl, and never ever think of counting sheep." Frank Sinatra, "In the Wee Small Hours" (Gordon)
18. "Yesterday a child came out to wonder, caught a dragonfly inside a jar." Joni Mitchell, "The Circle Game" (Roger Green)
19. "It's magic, it's tragic, it's a loss, it's a win." Faith No More, "Epic" (FxHx)
20. "And it's hard, so hard to take; there's no escape without a scrape." The Cars, "You Might Think" (spencer)