Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Non-TV notes

Let's take a brief break from my intense TV coverage this week to take a look at (as Stephen Colbert would put it):

WHO'S HONORING ME NOW?

Julie's Blog has bestowed the "BEST KEPT SECRET" award upon this blog. Right here. Yay for me! I don't really know what that means, but I shall greedily accept it and jealously defend it.


Apparently this award was created by Bobbarama.com, and according to that link, now that it's been given to me, I'm supposed to give it to three to five other bloggers "with great style and wit and warmth who [haven't] been discovered yet." Uh, okay. Here are a few blogs I've discovered, but maybe you haven't.

--Here's a new one I've been enjoying a lot: The Baboon Bellows. Lots of nifty comic book covers and DVD reviews, and a recent project is looking through new TV schedules from years past and seeing what worked and what didn't, which is right up my alley.

--I've liked Delenda Est Carthago for a long time. It's run by Greg Burgas, whom I met at the San Diego Comic Con this year. Good guy! Lots of in-depth book reviews, NFL analysis, great songs lists, Seinfeld minutiae, and suchlike and so forth.

--And Ramblin' with Roger is a wise and funny blog by Roger Owen Green, Jeopardy! champion, proud papa, and one of this blog's most frequent and favorite commenters.



I was also recently listed as one of TiFaux's Friends of the Faux. Click if you want to read my silly answers to their questionnaire. TiFaux is a damn fine TV-centric (as you might have guessed) site -- they've got charts and everything. Please don't hold it against them that they paid attention to my blog.



And finally, in case you didn't already know (and why wouldn't you?): Bill O'Reilly is a god damned racist. Here's what happened: he had dinner at a Harlem restaurant owned and managed by African Americans, then said on his radio program that he "couldn't get over the fact" that it was run like, of all things, a restaurant. Without gangsta rap or black men raping white women or anything!!! Among the many revelations that came as a surprise to O'Reilly:

--"It was like going into an Italian restaurant in an all-white suburb in the sense of people were sitting there, and they were ordering and having fun."

--"There wasn't any kind of craziness at all."

--"There wasn't one person in Sylvia's who was screaming, 'M.F.-er, I want more iced tea.'"

That's right: Bill O'Reilly, shocked -- shocked! -- that in a nice, but black-run, restaurant, patrons and employees somehow managed to refrain from shouting obscenities at each other.

And now, he's saying that the people taking exception to his ignorance and prejudice are smearing him. Not so pleasant when the shoe's on the other foot, is it, Bill?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com