Tuesday, October 25, 2005

I'm a selfish shopper

Today I found a couple of excellent bargains at Salzer's, the one halfway-decent vendor of used CDs/DVDs/video games/etc. in Ventura County. First, I picked up the Deadwood season 1 DVD box set for only $49.99. Amazon currently lists it at $74.99, which is already a good twenty-five bucks down from retail. Half-off for Deadwood? Hell yeah!

Then in the recently arrived used CD stacks I found The Beatles' White Album. That's always been my favorite from the Fab Four, by far, but I haven't actually owned it for a good long while. Another bargain: $17.99. ($32.99 on Amazon!) That's only nine bucks apiece for two discs of musical brilliance! (Quick question for the more Beatles-devoted than I: why is it that my mp3 player lists the performers of "Revolution 1" as "Nicky Hopkins; The Beatles"? Who the hell is Nicky Hopkins? And even if he did play on the track, as I assume he must have, I wonder why there's no similar listing for Eric Clapton on "While My Guitar Gently Weeps"?)

Yay me! But then...

On the way home from my spree, I give my sister a call. She tells me she's taking tomorrow off from work.

"Oh yeah? Why's that?" I ask.

"Um... you want to think about that?" she says.

It's her birthday.

I'm a bad brother. I was right there at the perfect gift store for her, and I completely forgot to get her anything!

But as soon as I got home, I ordered her Arrested Development season 1, so I'm not all bad. Certainly she deserves it -- if for nothing more than being the one who pointed out that spoilery discovery to me.

Honestly, back when she told me of her little insight about the show, I thought the DVD would make a perfect birthday gift for her. Too bad I'm too dopey to have ordered it in advance!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com