Monday, May 23, 2005

MOVIES: Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith

Real life keeps interfering with my intent to update this crazy thing. For example, Saturday I went to the Dodgers-Angels game at Dodgers Stadium, which was my first trip ever to Chavez Ravine. I've seen the Dodgers in San Francisco (at both Candlestick and Pac Bell Parks) and at Oakland, but never at home, so that was a hell of a treat. Too bad they lost. Stupid Dodgers!

Then on Sunday, I went to see Revenge of the Sith. And imagine my surprise when I did not walk out of the theater seething with rage! Imagine my complete and utter shock that, while Lucas' failures as a writer and director (namely, the writing* and directing** parts) were still flagrant and plentiful, I would still call this a good movie! Not great; not the truly sublime climax to a 28-year-long movie saga we all deserved -- but a solid good. I guess that's what the lowered expectations of the two abominable pieces of crap that came before this one have led to: my satisfaction with merely decent, with simply all right. That's a little sad. But I'm willing to accentuate the positive: hey, I liked it! Knock me over with a feather!

...



Real life interferes again. I've been trying to finish this post since 8AM. Busy day. And I now realize, not only do I not feel like finishing it, it doesn't even really matter. You've all seen the film already. You know the same sucky things still suck just as bad, but the good parts are more plentiful and better, enough this time to actually outweigh the sucky parts. There, does that pretty much sum up every other review you've read of this damn thing?

Actual content to come, sometime in the (hopefully) near future.



*As Harrison Ford has said, and as I always delight in quoting: "George, you can type this shit, but you can't say it."
**Carrie Fisher: "When George was directing, he'd only say two things: 'faster' or 'more intense.'"

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com