Friday, November 12, 2004

COMICS: More Wed. 11/10/04

Finishing where I left off yesterday:

Fables: There doesn't seem to be an overriding story to the most recent couple of issues. I mean, there's a story -- the administration of Fabletown is changing, Snow has her babies, Snow and Bigby go their separate ways -- but there's no menace or villain to combat. (There's something suggested by Piggy on the last page, but that's all.) And that's fine with me. The writing is so fun, and the art such a joy, that I'm relishing these relatively uneventful issues just for the time we get to spend with the characters. Although I hope we finally get to meet the Adversary some time soon.

The Walking Dead: My main complaint about this series continues to be the new artist, Charlie Adlard, who replaced the excellent Tony Moore; half the time I can't tell one generic-looking light-haired bearded man he draws from another. Very abrupt ending to the time on the farm. Kirkman explains in the letter column that he had originally planned on the farm story ending five issues earlier; I guess the extension of the story allowed him to shake things up a bit with the characters, but the ending was so sudden and anti-climactic, and the pacing's change from leisurely to sprinting forward in time was so jarring, he either should've ended it earlier, make the whole thing go by quickly, or he should've taken a little more time to make the ending more satisfying. I mean, that's how we're going to leave Farmer John (I forget the character's real name, and don't have the comic in front of me to reference, but you know who I mean) -- shell-shocked, muttering, "I think I've lost my mind" -- now we're going to leave that character? And leave David behind with him? Maybe that's the point -- it's a horror story, there aren't really supposed to be satisfying ends -- but it just didn't work for me. Still enjoying the comic overall, though. Oh, also: fan letter from Simon Pegg (Shaun of the Dead) this issue. Cool. I wish I got fan letters from the creators of cult-classic British sitcoms.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com