Thursday, July 15, 2004

MOVIES: Mid-Afternoon (About Threeish, Let's Say)... of the DEAD

A month old, but new to me, found via Distorting the Medium:

George A. Romero has suddenly gotten financing in order for not one, but TWO horror movies. One is Diamond Dead, some rock 'n' roll horror comedy type thing that, eh. Big whoop.

But the other is the long, long, LONG overdue fourth entry in Romero's legendary zombie series, which is now being called Land of the Dead! (Previously known as Dead Reckoning, and before that, Dusk of the Dead, which is my favorite title of the three, but what are you gonna do.) It could actually be in production as early as October. For real this time! (I hope.)

I guess the recent hit remake of Part 2 of Romero's Dead trilogy (soon to be tetralogy -- yes, that's the proper word), Dawn of the Dead, got some geniuses to thinking -- hey, what if we gave some money to the guy who did the original? What a concept.

Oh, man oh man, do I love me some zombies. I dig all kinds of horror movies in general, especially the Friday the 13th series (Jason kicks ASS), but I still think Day of the Dead may be the best I've ever seen. Talk about gruesome! And zombies are the perfect villain. They don't have a backstory, or any hammy dramatic speeches. They don't justify their actions, and they don't waste time explaining their plans to the hero. There's no reasoning or bargaining with them. They're not even evil, really. They don't care about taking over the world. All they want is to eat your brains. Eat 'em right the fuck up! I admire that kind of straightforwardness in a monster.

Labels: , , ,

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com