Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Tom Petty -- Pre-Show

Hey folks! I'm going to the Tom Petty show tonight! Jealous? You're jealous.

It's at the Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre in Selma, just outside of San Antonio, about an hour and a quarter from Austin (considering I'll be heading down during rush hour, maybe two hours). I've got tickets for the lawn section, and there's supposedly a 40% chance of thundershowers in the area, so keep your fingers crossed for me.

I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this show. Tom Petty is one of my all-time favorites, and I've never seen him live before. And best of all, much as I enjoyed his most recent album, Highway Companion, this isn't a tour in support of any particular release. It's basically a greatest hits tour. I mean, check out the set list from his most recent show:

YOU WRECK ME
LISTEN TO HER HEART
I WON'T BACK DOWN
EVEN THE LOSERS
FREE FALLIN'
MARY JANE
END OF THE LINE
CAN'T FIND MY WAY HOME (w/Steve Winwood)
GIMME SOME LOVIN' (w/Steve Winwood)
SAVING GRACE
BREAKDOWN
HONEY BEE
LEARNING TO FLY
DON'T COME AROUND HERE NO MORE
REFUGEE
[Encore]
RUNNIN' DOWN A DREAM
GLORIA
AMERICAN GIRL

Oh, did I mention Steve Winwood is opening? Dude, Petty is performing "Can't Find My Way Home" and "Gimme Some Lovin'" with Steve Winwood. Awesome. I recently said I wasn't too big on Winwood's "Roll With It." Doesn't mean I'm not a fan of Winwood himself. Spencer Davis Group, Traffic, Blind Faith... yeah, this'll be good.

Full report tomorrow. Yay for me!

Labels: ,

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com