Monday, July 02, 2007

Gone Fishin'

I'll be on vacation until next Monday, in Austin, Texas (as opposed to, I guess, the Austin in Indiana, or Minnesota, or Pennsylvania, or Arkansas -- all of which actually exist. Austin, AR has a population of 605!).

I'm going to try to post a few little things while I'm gone, just so the pain of missing me isn't quite so agonizing for you. They'll be music videos from some of my favorite bands. Hope you enjoy 'em.

First up is one from the Refreshments, one of my slightly more obscure favorites. They put out two fantastic albums of southwestern rock, as I like to call it, and then broke up. Most of them have gone on to reform as Roger Clyne & the Peacemakers, but they just don't have the magic they did as the Refreshments. The video is for the song "Good Year," from their second album, The Bottle and Fresh Horses. It opens with a clip of the band on MTV's 120 Minutes, from 1997.

Bonus coolness: the video features Charles Rocket, whose infamous uttering of the word "fuck" on Saturday Night Live led to his firing, and precipitated the downfall of Jean Doumanian as executive producer, and the return of Lorne Michaels. Gotta love him for that!


"It's been a good year for bad days, and a bad year for good days."

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com