Sunday, August 27, 2006

TV: Emmys Liveblogging

I'm planning on doing some light liveblogging of the Emmys later tonight. I don't have access to TiVo, so without the ability to pause, it's going to be a little more down and dirty than usual -- less detail, but more timely with the updating.

Timely as in: three hours late. As you probably know by now, the Emmys, unlike the Oscars, are tape-delayed to the West Coast. Or, as I like to say: "Live! Everywhere except the time zone in which they actually occur!" The ceremony is actually going on right now, though I won't be able to see it for another two hours.

I wanted to make my predictions right now, but looking around the internet for a list of nominees, I've already spoiled a few of the winners for myself. Grr! Luckily, I have an issue of TV Guide which has a list that I can crib from. I'll just quickly mention the major categories, and skip the ones I've already found out.

Comedy Series:
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
The Office
Scrubs
Two and a Half Men


I want Arrested to win, but it won't. I'll pick The Office, which is a damn fine second choice.

Drama Series:
Grey's Anatomy
House
The Sopranos
24
The West Wing


I didn't even watch The Sopranos this year (I'm still a season behind on the DVDs). I'd normally pick it to win, but I've seen a lot of backlash against this last season. I'll go slightly out on a limb and pick Grey's Anatomy, which is the newest of the shows (along with House, I think; aren't they both two seasons old?), but which seems to be getting all the buzz these days. I don't watch it, so I can't really speak to its quality myself. 24 would be my second guess.

Lead Actor, Comedy:
Steve Carell
Larry David
Kevin James
Tony Shalhoub
Charlie Sheen

I almost want to pick Shalhoub, because the Emmy voters are so clueless, they still think Monk is a good show. Hell, they even think Charlie Sheen and Kevin James are worth nominating! (Just some good-natured ribbing, fellas! Maybe.) But it's got to be Carell.

Lead Actress, Comedy:
Stockard Channing
Jane Kaczmarek
Lisa Kudrow
Julia Louis-Dreyfus
Debra Messing

This category is pathetic. I'm going to pick the one actress from a show that will actually be on the air next year: Louis-Dreyfus.

Lead Actor, Drama:
Peter Krause
Denis Leary
Christopher Meloni
Martin Sheen
Kiefer Sutherland

Also pathetic. No Gandolfini? (Even if I didn't watch The Sopranos this year, I still know how awesome he is.) No Michael Chiklis? I'll take Sutherland, because 24 had a buzzworthy year, even if he doesn't have much to do other than be intense and be more intense.

Lead Actress, Drama:
Frances Conroy
Geena Davis
Mariska Hargitay
Allison Janney
Kyra Sedgwick

I gotta go with newbie Sedgwick. I just don't want to live in a world where Mariska Hargitay is voted the best actress on television.

Supporting Actor, Comedy:
Will Arnett
Bryan Cranston
Jon Cryer
Sean Hayes
Jeremy Piven

I already know who wins. I'm not disappointed, and he would've been my prediction. But I wish it had been a certain someone else.

Supporting Actress, Comedy:
Cheryl Hines
Megan Mullally
Elizabeth Perkins
Jaime Pressly
Alfre Woodard

I'm going out on a limb, but I'm picking Pressly. Maybe my hunch that the Emmys will waste another award on Mullally is justified, but I have an opposing hunch that Pressly will be a surprise upset. Those of you on the East Coast probably already know if I'm a genius or an idiot. (Hell, everyone everywhere already knows that.)

Supporting Actor, Drama:
Alan Alda
Michael Imperioli
Gregory Itzin
Oliver Platt
William Shatner

I saw that the winner for this has already been chosen, but I swear I didn't see who won. So if my pick of Itzin is correct, it's an honest choice. If it's wrong, well, I'm a dummy.

Supporting Actress, Drama:
Candice Bergen
Blythe Danner
Sandra Oh
Jean Smart
Chandra Wilson

I'll believe the buzz, and take Oh.

I could make more picks, but I'm so late on this I just can't get into it. I'll stick with these ten nine (I forgot about the winner I've already seen). I'll be back shortly with a look at the Pre-Show!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com