Saturday, August 09, 2008

XXIX Olympics

I was otherwise occupied yesterday, what with the birthday celebrations and all, but I want to acknowledge the opening of the Beijing Olympics. I'm watching the Opening Ceremonies on TiVo right now.

I'm very excited, as I always am for the Olympics. There may be a lot of controversy over the choice of China to host these games, but for one thing, I think the Olympics are a moment to set aside political barriers and treasure the spectacle of international athletic achievement and camaraderie. And for another thing, as I listened to Tom Brokaw detail China's political failures -- "It is a country where the few rule the many; where protest is not welcome..." -- it becomes very obvious how difficult it is for America to claim any kind of moral superiority to any other nation at this point, even China. Wow, protest is not welcome? What's that like? I wonder if they tap their citizens' phones without permission, or detain people for years on end with no charges and no hope for a public trial? Wouldn't that be awful?

Anyhoo, my point is I love the Olympics, and will be watching a boatload of coverage over the next couple weeks. And in honor of the commencement of these Olympics, I'm bringing back an old favorite of this blog. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you: Misty May's ass.

It is patriotic to admire this ass.

You're welcome.

Labels: , , , ,

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com