Saturday, July 08, 2006

Saturday Sidebar Update. Once again back on Saturday!

By complete lack of popular demand, nobody's favorite feature at this blog returns to Saturdays. It's time for the Saturday Sidebar Update!

Sorry, Lisa Edelstein, you only got four days as Object of My Affection. But that's just the way things go in the cutthroat competitive world of Sidebar Updating. Taking your place: Jenna Fischer, aka Pam from The Office. She's a little cutie, and I don't care who knows I said so. (Unless her husband wants to punch me in the nose for it, in which case Ian said it.) The show, and especially Pam and her relationship with Jim, have really grown on me this past year, becoming essential ingredients to my TV enjoyment. And now that I've found Jenna's MySpace page, and her blog, which is chock full of info about the show, her career, and is tremendously charming and open and sweet, I've grown just that much more fond of her. I mean, come on, under "Who I'd like to meet," she lists "Cartoonist Joe Matt." How do you not love that? (She also says "Taylor Hicks," which is somewhat less endearing.)

Reading: In recent weeks, I've listed Thomas Pynchon's Vineland, Lemony Snicket's The Penultimate Peril, and Hugh Laurie's The Gun Seller. I have yet to finish a single one of those books. So why not list yet another book it's taking me forever to finish? That would be the gigantic graphic novel Blankets, by Craig Thompson. It's supposed to be really, really good. I don't know. I keep reading a few pages, setting it aside, and feeling no great urge to pick it up again. My goal this week: to finish at least one of these frickin' books. (If I had to bet on it, I'd pick The Gun Seller.)

Watching: The season one DVD of Dr. Katz, Professional Therapist. It's only got six episodes, but right from the very first minute the easy-going charm and humor of this show that made it a favorite of mine for so long shines through. The interplay between Jonathan Katz and H. Jon Benjamin as Dr. Katz and son Ben is always the best part of any episode, but there are some great moments from guests Ray Romano, Dom Irrera, Dave Attell, and others as well. And the commentaries are almost as entertaining as the actual shows. Great fun.

Listening: I've had it a long time, but Tenacious D's eponymous album is getting a lot of play round these parts lately. When's the second album coming out? Heck, when's the movie, Tenacious D in The Pick of Destiny, coming out?? (Oh, wait, I can look that up myself. November 17.)

Hating: MySpace. It's irrational hatred. For some reason, I resent its enormous popularity and cultural touchstone status. It bugs me. What bugs me even more: I had to sign up to MySpace so I could view Jenna Fischer's photo collection -- one of which I used on the Sidebar, so I guess it was worth it. But still! It bugs me. Also, I understand you can totally stalk underage kids on it. That ain't right.

Speaking of stalkers, Lyric of the Week is from "I Don't Want To Know (If You Don't Want Me)," by The Donnas, which is a song about a way-too-obsessed girl stalking her ex. But in a funny way.

And there you go! Enjoy the weekend. And the World Cup finals tomorrow. Go [coin flip] Italy!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com