Tuesday, September 27, 2005

TV: Halftime Report Card

I've watched over half of the 30 (!) new shows I plan on watching this year, and I'm about to go watch some more. But I wanted to take a breather and put what I've watched into perspective -- for me, if for no one else.

I've never graded anything on this site -- no letter grade reviews, no scale of 1 to 10, no 4 or 5 stars. But that's what I'm going to be doing here. I'll go with the 1 to 10 scale; I'd use 4 stars, but that system allows for nine possible gradations already (counting zero and half stars). Might as well make it an even ten.

1: Why do you hate me, TV?
2-3: Won't ever watch this again
4-5: Borderline; might give it a second chance
6-7: I'll watch as long as it's not up against something better
8-9: Permanently on my viewing schedule
10: Battlestar Galactica, The Daily Show, Lost, Deadwood

ABC

Invasion: 3

CBS

How I Met Your Mother: 7
Out of Practice: 3
Threshold: 5

Fox

Kitchen Confidential: 7
Prison Break: 6 (as goofy as I thought it was, I keep coming back!)
Bones: 6
Head Cases: 4 (like it matters what I think; it's already been cancelled)
Reunion: 2 (the more I think about it, the worse I realize it is)
Killer Instinct: 1
The War at Home: 3

NBC

My Name Is Earl: 8

UPN

Everybody Hates Chris: 7
Love, Inc.: 6

WB

Just Legal: 5 (I've seen it, but haven't reviewed it yet)
Supernatural: 5
Twins: 2

To summarize: that's ten out of seventeen shows I've basically written off, which is a healthy percentage, I think; six shows I like enough to keep watching until something stops me (with at least two of them, Kitchen Confidential and How I Met Your Mother, and possibly a third, Everybody Hates Chris, threatening to move up to permanent status); and only one real keeper so far, in Earl. Which means, of course, Earl will probably be cancelled. I've got that effect.

It's a mediocre season so far; even Earl isn't completely overwhelming, and there are only a couple shows I truly hold in contempt. I don't expect much better out of the remaining thirteen new programs, but there's always hope. Starting now. To the TV!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com