Saturday, September 22, 2007

Fall 2007 TV: What I'm Watching

Some shows have gotten an early jump, but the majority of new network programming rolls out next week, beginning tomorrow. So I thought I'd take a look at what my likely viewing habits are going to be. I'm using the TV grid at Laurel's TV Picks for my research.

I'm pleasantly surprised to see there are very few conflicts, and absolutely no conflicts that can't be solved with a VCR; not one hour of the week has three shows I want to watch at the same time, which is a rarity these days. Is this because the networks are backing away from cutthroat scheduling, or is this because they don't have enough good shows to create that kind of conflict? Probably the latter.

MONDAYS

8:00
Minor conflict: How I Met Your Mother goes up against the new Chuck, which is one of only two or three yet-to-debut shows I'm expecting to like. The VCR should solve that. If push comes to shove, I'll take HIMYM.

9:00
Heroes wins. I've given up on Two and a Half Men, which I was briefly, shamefully hooked on, and nothing else holds the slightest interest.

10:00
Maybe Journeyman. We'll see how I like next week's premiere.

TUESDAYS

8:00
Nothing. I never really got into Bones, and ABC's two new sitcoms, Cavemen and Carpoolers, look to be horrible.

9:00
Possible conflict. House is on, and that's a take-it-or-leave-it show for me, but it's generally pretty good. New at this hour is The CW's Reaper, which is the only program on that network that holds the slightest interest for me. Who knows, though, I might hate it after one episode.

10:00
I think I've given up on Boston Legal. The new Cane has a decent cast, but I'm not really into soaps.

WEDNESDAYS

8:00
Pushing Daisies is one of those few new shows that look good to me. Nothing else of interest.

9:00
Even against strong competition, Bionic Woman would win by a mile. But here's what it's up against: Private Practice, Criminal Minds, Kitchen Nightmares, and Gossip Girl. I have never watched, and will never watch, an episode of any of those shows (that's right, I'm giving myself a pass on reviewing the Grey's Anatomy spinoff, which has already caused me such pain).

10:00
The only possibilities on the major networks are two new shows whose premises don't really grab me: Dirty Sexy Money and Life. I'm sure I'll be watching the new seasons of South Park and The Sarah Silverman Show instead.

THURSDAYS

8:00
My Name Is Earl and 30 Rock. Probably Ugly Betty on the VCR.

9:00
The Office and Scrubs.

10:00
Nothing on the networks. I'll be opting for It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia on FX.

FRIDAYS

8:00
Absolutely nothing.

9:00
I'll give new shows Women's Murder Club and Moonlight a chance, but they seem equally unlikely to grab me. Friday Night Lights is on; I've watched exactly one episode of that show, last season's finale. And you know what? It is damn good! But I don't really feel the urge to pick up on it now. Sorry, fans! So it'll probably be nothing for me at this hour.

10:00
Small chance I might try to get back into Men in Trees, which I liked for a while, but which lost me. Nothing else.

SATURDAYS

As usual, nothing but Saturday Night Live.

SUNDAYS

Fox's two-hour animation block will likely have my undivided attention. Viva Laughlin might be fun to check out, but I'm sure it'll be cancelled by Thanksgiving. Nothing else of interest for the night, unless there's a good Sunday Night Football game.



See, I don't watch that much TV! Right? Right??? Now excuse me, I have to go watch some TV.

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com