Thursday, January 05, 2006

Sidebar Update: 2K6 Style, Yo!

It's my first sidebar update of the new year! And a belated one, at that. My weekend update schedule is shot to hell. We'll have to wait and see if I update again this Saturday, or let it ride till next weekend.

I spent a lot of New Year's weekend watching the Sci-Fi Channel's Twilight Zone marathon. Man, it's been a while since I've watched an episode. And after all these years, they're still fantastic. Burgess Meredith in "Time Enough At Last" -- still gives me chills. And "Eye of the Beholder" holds up as strongly as ever. Great, great stuff. And I also got to catch "Two" -- one of the lesser episodes, certainly, but one of my faves, about an American soldier and a Russian soldier who run across one another in an abandoned city, the only survivors of whatever battle there may have been. The American is Charles Bronson, and the Russian is Elizabeth Montgomery. And I'll tell you what, damned if Elizabeth Montgomery in this episode isn't about the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. Sure, she was hot on Bewitched, too, but it was more of a "mom" hot. (Or "MILF" hot, if you will.) In "Two," she's younger and so unbelievably gorgeous, even if her face is dirty for most of the show. And she's brunette! I looked long and hard for a good screencap from this episode for my sidebar; there used to be an excellent Twilight Zone fan site, with large and copious caps from every episode, but whatever that site was, I can't find it anymore. My thanks to Dorian, who found me the picture I wound up using; it still doesn't quite do her justice, but it's the best to be found on the internet, apparently.

I'm still reading Quicksilver, kind of, off and on. Once again, I don't think I'm going to make it through. I keep putting it down to read other books. Right now I'm reading Joe R. Lansdale's Bumper Crop, a collection of short stories, mostly of the horror persuasion. Lansdale is awesome, and these stories have a kick like Stephen King's stories used to, circa Night Shift: brief and sharp and hair-raising.

HBO has been rerunning The Sopranos from the beginning, building up to the new season, and I've been loading up my TiVo with a boatload of episodes (which I need to plow through -- the TiVo is quickly running out of space). I missed out on the show after the second season, which is when I moved, and didn't renew HBO at my new place. I've got a lot of mafia goodness to catch up on!

I made myself a copy of 12 Songs, the Neil Diamond CD I gave my mom for Christmas, and I love it. And I'll bust any one of you in the chops who dares speak ill of the Jewish Elvis! "Hell Yeah" has rapidly become one of my most played tracks; it also appears under Lyric of the Week. (I'm also digging "Delirious Love.")

Pat Robertson said something vile and loathsome this week. What a shocker! He suggested that Ariel Sharon's stroke was a punishment from God for ceding land to the Palestinians. Pat Robertson is a twisted, evil old fuck.

Bonus hate! I love Nellie McKay's first album, Get Away From Me. Her follow-up album was supposed to be released this week. But, as I discovered via Various and Sundry, Columbia Records has refused to release it due to disputes with McKay over the album's length. It will surely be released by some other label, but not any time soon. Son of a biscuit!

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com